About Your Library
About Your Library
Anchorage Public Library makes its facilities, services and collections accessible to meet the needs of all patrons. Library staff are always ready to assist with locating materials, operating the catalog and other equipment or reaching items from high or low shelves. Click here for more information.
We have several rooms, auditoriums and outdoor spaces available for rent for meetings, receptions and other events. Click here for more information
All APL locations are Wi-Fi hotspots. Library computers with Internet access are also available at all library locations, although restrictions such as time limits do apply. Stations are offered on a first come, first served basis. Check at any reference desk for availability. In addition to surfing the Internet, you can check Web-based e-mail and use word processing. Click here for the
Reference librarians are available at all library locations during open hours to answer questions and assist with research needs. Click here to use Ask a Librarian to ask a question via e-mail. E-Mail questions can take up to 72 hours for a response.
Reference service includes providing access to information, library materials and basic assistance with library equipment (computers, copiers, printers) and electronic resources (online catalog, databases and software). Reference service does not include compiling, interpreting, or arranging information; completing forms or homework assignments; photocopying or proofreading documents; making mathematical calculations; providing legal or medical advice, child care, counseling, or crisis intervention. Reference service does not include extensive computer troubleshooting and instruction about specific applications and web sites that involve personal information.
The Alaska Collection at Loussac is open to the public Monday-Saturday 12-6pm and Sunday 1-5pm.
Youth Services librarians are available at all library locations during open hours to meet the specialized informational needs of children and adults working with children. A plethora of programs and events are offered for pre-schoolers, school-aged youth, and young adults.
Click here to access the Kids page.
Click here to access the Teen page.
Click here for Library Event Calendar.
If you can not find an item in the library catalog, you may submit an Interlibrary Loan or ILL. We will try to find the material in another library and borrow it for you. The whole process can take 2-6 weeks. Search WorldCat to find the item you want. Use the ILL button in WorldCat to submit your
Is there any item we don’t have that you think should be on our shelves? Click here to suggest a purchase.
Reserve a kit that contains ten copies of a book and a reader’s guide, all in a handy bag to take to your next book club meeting. Over 50 titles available! To find the Book Club Bags in the catalog, either search for the title you are interested in and look for the catalog entry with “[kit]” in the title, or search for “APL Book Club Bag” for the entire list. Book Club Bags will be available for one 6-week checkout (no renewals). Place a hold on the kit of your choice to reserve your bag. Click here for the list of titles.
The Alaska Collection at Loussac Library contains over 20,000 books on
We offer test proctoring services. Click here for more information.
Anchorage Genealogical Society volunteers can help you get started with your research or suggest solutions to problems along the way. Find them at Loussac Library, Level 3, every Wednesday from 11am - 2pm and the 2nd and 4th Wednesday from 7pm - 9pm.
- Fiction Books-Best sellers, popular genre and the classics.
- Nonfiction Books- Covering a wide range of subjects.
- Large Type Books - Some popular fiction, nonfiction and children's.
- Media - Movies, music and audio books.
- Youth - Picture books, fiction, nonfiction, magazines, and media for pre-schoolers to young adults.
- Periodicals - Some major newspapers and popular magazines.
- Databases - Access to articles in magazines, journals, newspapers, and other resources.
- Downloadables - Music, Audio, e-books to download to your device anytime, day or night.
- Book Club Bags - Click here for the list of titles.
- Storypackets - Bags that contain multiple copies of a title and reading aids for young readers. Click here for more info.
AlaskaCollection - Over 25,000 books on and the north, including state and municipal documents. See the Alaskana page. Alaska
- Books in Foreign Languages- Popular and classic titles in a number of languages.
- Business and Investment Resources- Mutual fund and stock information, business directories, insurance ratings, publications from Moody's, Dun & Bradstreet, Standard & Poor's.
- Genealogy - General guides, compilations of records and histories of some specific areas.
- Loussac Children's Collection - Materials for parents, people who work with children and students of children's literature.
- Periodicals- Most Alaska newspapers and magazines, select newspapers from major cities (
and foreign), a wide assortment of magazines and newsletters U.S.