ARISE Kindergarten Preparedness
September Theme: Participates Positively in Group Activities
Young children learn about the world through a balance of exploration, choices, and meaningful interactions. Children build their capacity to sustain attention and focus through interactions with their caregivers. Learn more about what you can do to further develop your child’s capacity to attend and focus at ARISE.
Countdown to Kindergarten Programs
Join us for fun, hands-on activities for your future kindergartener. Materials and activities provided by Anchorage School District’s Countdown to Kindergarten kits. For children ages 3-5 with their caregivers. Families are welcome to join.
Mountain View Library (120 Bragaw St., Community Room)
Saturday, February 10 @ 1:30PM
Loussac Library (3600 Denali St, Storytime Theater, 2nd floor)
Saturday, February 18 @ 11AM
Muldoon Library (1251 Muldoon Rd, Program Room)
Friday, February 24 @ 1:30PM
Getting Ready for Kindergarten
There are many ways to get your child ready for Kindergarten. Here are some suggestions to help prepare:
- READ, TALK, WRITE, SING, and PLAY with your child everyday
- Create a routine for your child (bedtime, meals, etc)
- Create a work area for your child
- Set ground rules at home
- Set limits on television and computer time
- Emphasize sharing and listening
- Encourage your child to ask questions
- Visit your child's future school before kindergarten starts
Your child should be able to:
- Identify LETTERS, NUMBERS, COLORS, and basic SHAPES
- Dress and use the bathroom alone
- Listen attentively to stories
- Follow simple instructions
- Play independently and clean up afterward
- Know their name, telephone number, and home address
- Grip a pencil, crayon, or marker correctly (with the thumb and forefinger supporting the tip)
- Use scissors, glue, paint, and other art materials with relative ease
- Write his/her own name
Resources for Parents
Anchorage School District
90% by 2020
The 90% by 2020 Community Partnership has over 100 individuals and organizations in Anchorage working together to help reach a 90% graduation rate by 2020.
The Anchorage Kindergarten Ready Network is dedicated to using data and mobilizing existing resources to build community capacity and enhance collaborative partner services to ensure that all children enter school ready to succeed.
Best Beginnings has identified the following priorities.
Early Learning System